Monday, February 16, 2009

It is a wine I would drink.


For this week's critique I chose to observe packaging particularly on an item of food/drink. I think it is extremely important to consider the promotion of an item of consumption maybe even more so than other every day objects. I can certainly attest to the notion of being visually attracted to an unknown item that weighs heavily upon my decision to purchase said particular item. Specifically when choosing a bottle of wine, considering I am not well versed in the vast culture of what is considered a "good" wine or even what pairs well with a given meal. The most intriguing aspect I look for when shopping for wine is which bottle has the most appealing label, which I find to be a natural instinct. That is why I have chosen this bottle among the many I came across online, it is certainly one I would pull off the shelf for my own consumption.
This label is set off nicely against a black bottle which I'm sure denotes the night sky, which allows the physical elements of the bottle to be pulled together in this very simple aspect. The white and silver text repeats this element of elegance through a very mature typeface as seen on the wrapper and the silver color is seen again at the top of the bottle and on bottom of the label which acts as a pleasing weight for your eyes to rest on. It separates the label from the bottle and allows the important text (name and type of wine, description) to stand out from the rest. The celestial image reinforces the name of the wine, Celeste, in a very determined manner which is known by the brightest star hanging right above the most pronounced word. The placement of the image carefully envelopes the text which allows an appropriate use of proximity to be present. The silver color scheme acts as a representation of fantasy or stars, it's contrast against the darker colors certainly draw attention to the bottle. Overall I think this label and bottle is very successful in marketing a probably luxurious wine in a fairly simple manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment