Monday, February 9, 2009

It is an artist's self portrait.


Julie Heffernan
Self Portrait as Post Script
2007

Julie Heffernan is an American artist currently living in New York City although by looking at her paintings one may certainly think otherwise. Her lavish figurative and still life work echoes the style of a 17th century artist but provide very modern context in the delicate details that her paintings possess. Much of her work symbolizes a combination of contemporary issues such as feminism, gender issues and motherhood. She is probably most well known for her self portrait series, all of which are said not meant to be literal self-portraits but rather “vehicles to examine memory and to tell a story about the life of the mind, imagination and myth.” In an interview with Insight Online Heffernan said, "...but I don't drive or steer the work to any particular outcome. For me, it's about tracking these pictures in my head that I derive out of a process called image streaming." Her work is extracted from a very psychological locality that gives greater meaning to what each painting as a whole represents. "Before I'm actually sleeping, as I relax and get out of the conscious mind, pictures will flood into my head, kind of like a movie," Heffernan also stated in the interview. This approach to her work is clearly depicted in the subject matter, technique and composition of each piece.

Self Portrait as Post Script clearly encompasses Julie Heffernan’s overall achievement as one of today’s truly unique working artists. It defines her uncommon approach to the common subject matter in a style that seems somewhat forgotten in our society. This image in particular is quite enchanting and I must agree with critics that have called her work “downright haunting.” The black background provides an even darker feel for the already obscure subject matter of a large dress fashioned out of dead animals. However, these elements work together in providing continuity for the impression of mortality. As a self-portrait, all of these elements represent something to the artist and although I don’t understand the overall meaning of the animals, I think they add an even greater depth to the artist’s intention. The flowers accommodate the continuity of natural elements found in this scene, they add feminism and also aesthetically act as a good example of repetition. I think the palette of colors used was very appropriate and certainly add to the feel of darkness that I believe she was trying to convey. Unfortunately I was unable to find detailed information about the artist’s life but what little I did discover about her work and approach to her art seems to hold true in this painting. I am very intrigued by her style and can relate to her definition of a self-portrait, that it should encompass elements that make up and define the self, which she has interestingly done here.

No comments:

Post a Comment