Sunday, February 1, 2009

It is Tim Walker.


I thought it may be appropriate to base this weeks critique on a photograph as we have just finished up our unit on photoshop. In trying to decide what kind of photograph would best be discussed, a few fashion photographers came to mind. I wanted to find an image that spoke graphically and also portrayed the concepts we spoke about in class. Many fashion photographers create images that display all of these design qualities with the added advantage of beautiful people as their subjects. My chosen image comes from London-based fashion photographer Tim Walker which, however, doesn't fit the image of a beautiful model but rather a striking subject of a purple horse. While the majority of his work stems from the fashion industry and does incorporate people/models, all of his work possesses the same high end, detail oriented, romantic feel which I think even this image represents. It is very simple in that is merely a horse standing in front of a wall of flowers, but the use of colors creates an entirely new persona for the subject. The forceful purple horse is toned down by it's complimentary color green which is used as the backdrop. The rule of thirds applies outstandingly to the ground on which the subject is standing, it allows your eye to rest on the subject without denying any sense of space. The flowers present an added element of surrealism and extravagance while still keeping the overall image quite simple. I think this is a very basic example of Walker's work, it still possesses a high grade of quality but works quite well even as a stand alone image. I'm most fond of the overall eccentricness, it's quirkiness speaks loudly to me...but perhaps I'm just naturally drawn to the weird.

Check out more of Tim Walker's work.

1 comment:

  1. I agree this image is a bit strange. Perhaps I am missing something but I found the composition of this image to be kind of boring. Perhaps that adds to the contrast of the bizarre subject matter. The photographer uses a select color palette in creating this fantasy atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete